We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: membrane switches and capacitive switches shouldn’t be overlooked for human-machine interface (HMI) development projects just because other technologies are becoming more popular!
Some solutions are, of course, more powerful than others in terms of features – like touch screens, for example – but they’ve got nothing on capacitive switches and membrane switches when it comes to aesthetics! Additionally, if the user only needs to perform simple tasks using the control panel, they can be a more practical option!
Here is a list of arguments in favour of membrane switches, a technology that some people wrongly consider to be outdated.
- They’re universal (or nearly): cold, hot, and humid environments – they’re reliable in most situations. They can easily withstand temperature fluctuations and shock.
- Anyone can use them: membrane and capacitive switches are less complicated than other human-machine solutions, and have well-defined keypads that can be operated by customers who are not very familiar with modern technology.
- They offer a more human experience: despite the popularity of other technologies, many users still appreciate the feedback they get from pressing a mechanical button. Embossing and the insertion of metal domes can create this effect.
- They are less sensitive: this might seem like an undesirable feature, but in cases where the control panel can be pressed by accident, it’s quite the opposite.
- They cost less to produce: on average, they are less expensive than other human-machine interface solutions, due in part to the fact that they have fewer components.
- Replacing them costs less: in that same vein, changing out a membrane switch or capacitive switch is less expensive. They are also very thin and light.
- Their graphic overlays resist damage: as opposed to gluing a graphic overlay on top of a mechanical keypad, capacitive and membrane switches are built to last.
All of this is proof that even though modern technology is impressive, it’s not always the best choice for the situation at hand!
Convinced? Tell us about your custom HMI solution needs. We will get back to you with a quote within 48 hours!